Monday, February 21, 2011

One Thousand Gifts


There is nothing health-wise to update on (thank God). But the Conference for Young Women affected by breast cancer is only 4 days away!! I am very excited about this for a few reasons:

1. I get to see my mom and aunt and cousins.
2. I get to meet hundreds of other women going through what I did, but who are my age.
3. I get to be in 75-80 degree weather.
4. I get to spend a day at Disney World.

Needless to say, I have a lot to look forward to this week. :)

I completed my CNA training last Friday and passed both my written and skills tests. When I get back from Florida, I plan to take my state testing so I can be a Certified Nursing Assitant.

I met some wonderful people at the Care Center I trained at. The elderly have such grace and wisdom that can only come through years and years of experience with all that life throws at you. Their ability tolerate what others would probably complain about is incredible. I met one lady, age 86, who only recently became legally blind. I talked with her for quite awhile. I told her of my diagnosis with cancer and she, without hesitation, told me that God would take care of me. That I would live a long time and I needn't worry. And she told me she would pray for me, that prayers do work.

I had a few of the women tell me that they would pray for me. For me, it is so comforting to hear. Though I am done with treatment, it doesn't necessarily mean I am out of the clear. Most would probably tell me to think positive, which I do, but I also have to be realistic. There is a difference and I have to accept that nothing is guaranteed. But what I do know for sure is that, "Faith brings the gift of new beginnings just when we need them."

God has given me another chance at life. I am constantly planning for my future. There is a lot that I want to see, a lot of things I want to do, and I am working towards accomplishing all that I can in this short life, cancer or no cancer. I suppose that is one of the greatest gifts to come out of this experience. I am learning to stop saying, "There's always tomorrow." Tomorrow is never guaranteed, and not only that, you never know what it may bring. I am a walking example of how quickly life can change in a matter of seconds.


A fellow sister within the realm of breast cancer told me of a book called, "One Thousand Gifts", by Ann Voskamp. This sparked my curiousity and I researched it. I have to say, I am in love with this idea. It encourages readers to write down at least three things, every day, that you are thankful for. The author began writing her 'One Thousand Gifts' and it is all very inspiring. Below is a video that correlates with the book:




With cancer, a lot of emotions consume you. A lot of negative emotions, at that. I've learned how important it is to stay focused on a positive light and sometimes that takes not only work, but daily reminders. I am going to practice this idea and I hope you will, too. :)

Love,
Annie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment